FRONT COVER:
As the genre that I have created for this unit is for a niche audience, which is a Pakistani wedding, I have chosen this similar traditional Pakistani wedding magazine front cover for me to discuss the codes and conventions.
One convention in which I will be talking about is the main cover image of the front cover. It is commonly used by many Pakistani wedding magazines that they present a medium close up image of the models. This is because it illustrates the authentic emotions on the models faces, and also presents the fine intricate details on the models traditional wedding attire. I have also chosen to use a medium close up of my models for the front cover of my magazine because it connotes the idea of it being importance and to illustrate the pure emotions on my models face on their main wedding day, as well presenting their traditional regal South Asian outfit that their wore on their Baraat and also for it to be attracting and appealing to my target audience that will be interested in reading my magazine.
For the house style of the front cover of my magazine, I wanted to interpret the traditional colours that related towards the genre of my magazine and also for it to be appealing towards my target audience. I have used the colours gold and burgundy red because it connotes the idea of it being elegant and to contrast well with the outfits worn by my models on their wedding day. I have also chosen to use the colours red and gold to connote the idea of making my magazine to look cultural by presenting the traditional use of colours on my magazine. I also used the colour white for the text of my magazine in the colour because I wanted it to stand out on top of the main cover image, and also for it look professional and simplicity for the magazine. As well as the real magazine presented on the left hand side, the colours that they have also used are revealed to illustrate the theme and genre of the magazine. For example, they used the colour gold for text on their front cover to connote their idea of elegant and for it to contrast well with their main cover image. The real magazine has also used the colour white for the text of their magazine front cover to also connote the idea of it to look professional and classy and for the to stand out on the front cover.
For the mast head design of the front cover of my magazine, I went with the final design of using the font "Classy" for the word "THE" to make the mast head to stand out on top of the main cover image and for it to look simplistic. I then used the font "elegant" for the word "Baraat" as well as in the colour gold for it connote the idea for the mast to look elegant and for it to make it appealing towards my target audience and to match the genre of my magazine by using a old traditional colour that symbols a South Asian Pakistani wedding. I decided to use two different colours for my mast head because I wanted it to look appealing towards my target audience and to stand out and to look elegant which is why I used the colours white and gold. The colour white allows my mast head title to stand out a lot more and to be easily visible. As well as using the colour gold, allows my mast head to look more elegant and more related towards the theme and the genre of my magazine.
CONTENTS PAGE:


For my magazine contents page, I wanted the layout to be unique and for it to look more appealing towards my audience and making it more aesthetically pleasing. As the real magazine that I have chosen which relates to the genre and theme of my magazine, they have presented images which highlights the models on their wedding day. For my magazine, I wanted to interpret my models in their traditional intricate detailed outfits that they wore on their different events. I wanted to add pictures of my models on their different events to amaze my audience as they open the magazine, but however I lowered the opacity of each image to not show off the original bold colours and to express the full quality of the image until they turn to that page of the event in the magazine. Although the real magazine example that I have chosen has only left the hand side of the magazine to present some images and left a lot of white space, I have chosen to fill up the whole page of the background image convention of my contents page with different images of my models on their different event to make the contents page more appealing and aesthetically pleasing to my audience.
I didn't want to have one image on my contents page because I wanted the contents page to stand out with all the different images of my models as well having different poses revealing different emotions on their wedding events. I also wanted to follow the tradition of this convention by seeing other wedding event magazine have many different images on their contents page to make their audience to be amazed and to make them want to read the magazine. Having more than one image on the contents page makes it more stood out and more appealing to the audience by showing them an insight of the different events and what they are expected to see in the magazine.
For the last code and conventions that I will be talking about is the text on the contents page. In the real magazine presented on the left side above, they have presented their text on right hand side with bold text of the subheading and small body text for a short description of the page. However, in my opinion, I didn't like the layout of this style and since I wanted full coverage image for my contents page, I presented the text in a way they wouldn't cover the images that I have presented on my contents page. I also used the same font on my contents page that I have also used throughout my whole magazine to connote the use of synergy. Although the real magazine has used the colour black and made the text of the title "Contents" in italics form to make it stand out on the page, I have decided for this convention to add a rectangle banner in the middle of the page and to add the title "Contents" in the font "Cochin" and duplicated the layer and inverting it into the colour black to create a gaussian blur. I have done this because I wanted the title of my contents page to look unique and for to be appealing to my target audience.
DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD:
When creating my double page spread for my magazine, I did a lot of research online for the perfect layout that I wanted to present my double page spreads. Although the genre that I have chosen to create my magazine is very niche there aren't as many examples of magazines online but this layout presented on the left above caught my attention. However, the double page spread on the left still looked really plain and dull, so I decided to add mandala designs on to my double page spread around the match so that it was suitable for my target audience.
The magazine that is presented on the left hand side presents images of their models however it's giving much of a natural, freedom vibe in a way as I have presented my images. For example, the images that I have captured on my double page spread for the "Rishta" page creates the idea of it being verisimilitude, connoting the idea of the images being captured in 3rd person, expressing my models to do their own pose for the Rishta picture on the top left, creating the impression of them both having freedom and showing authenticity and revealing their true personality. For the Nikkah, I wanted the images to connote elegance and regal, this is because the Nikkah is the Islamic marriage and I wanted to capture strong images on the representations of my models with connotations of love, security and happiness.
Another convention that the double page spread on the left followed that I didn't, is continuing with the same topic on both pages on the double page spread. This is because I have talked about different cultural events that place before the main Pakistani wedding, hence the reason on why I created two different types of both pages. Another convention is having a rectangle border frame for every article in my magazine. The double page spread on the left presents an article that isn't on a rectangle border, I didn't like the look of having text alone on my magazine because I personally think that it doesn't stand out as much compared to having the text on top of a rectangle banner and also it looks more appealing when having a rectangle banner and it stands out a lot more.
How are my models presented in my magazine are ideal selves/partners and why?
My models presented in my magazine are ideal selves/partners by the use of representation theory. Both of my models are dressed throughout my magazine is elegant South Asian, Pakistani attire catered for their events to symbolise the connotations of culture tradition and grace. The facial expressions presented on my models faces illustrative their body language and confidence shows connotations of their strong love for one another, show a dream marriage in which that is filled with loving emotions, care, romance and aesthetically pleasing. The bridal make up, jewellery and mehndi (henna) symbolises the connotations of cultural traditions and the strong elegance of a traditional Pakistani bride, juxtaposing with a South Asian Pakistani men with a well brushed beard and an elegant traditional wedding attire to symbolise the connotations of masculinity and strength in which represents both of my models as ideal selves.
With the use of Laura Mulvey's theory 'Male Gaze', the traditional South Asian bride is decorated with intricate South Asian wedding jewellery and bridal make up in which allows the bride to become a bold symbol of visual pleasure to my audience, in which holds a strong attach to cultural traditions and ideals in media. The groom presented on the front cover of my magazine dressed in an elegant sherwani with a turban on his head with showing grace of his culture and the leadership of the marriage, suggesting a stabled representation of worthy.
What mode of addresses did interpret into my articles for my magazine?
For the final product of my magazine, I didn't just want my magazine to look professional, but I wanted my magazine to also read professional too for my audience in which they will be able to freely rely on the advice I provide for each South Asian event in which leads up towards the wedding day. Because of this, I have used peer-to-peer, using informal/chatting language in my magazine articles such as "black isn't just about the trend, it is an expression of mercy, strength and proud heritage". These phrases can be used and found in peer-to-peer conversations to illustrate a pleasant storytelling greet.
I have used parent-to-child mode of address in order for me to share my best advice and guidance for a couple that is in the position of marrying each other. The articles that I have added in my magazine are presented to be giving the readers of my audience advice on marriage and inspiration of how to plan their wedding events if they would like support on different aspects of their events. My articles share wisdom and cultural guidance to my audience, in which I have discussed parents giving their daughter away to another man to take full control of commitment to take care of their daughter. "The aim of every parent is for their daughter to be treated well, showered with affection and love" and also, "I personally express my warmest prayers to all the powerful fathers and mothers". In both of these phrases of my articles I showed my sympathy, care and guidance in which how a parent would also give their child about the stage of marriage.
BODY COPY ARTICLE:
Interviewing Kaleem and Thaiba on how to prepare to someone also in their 20s for their first Rishta:
Kaleem's answer:
"Reflect on your values and your goals in life. Be mentally prepared, understand and reveal your top priories in a marriage during your Rishta. Be open minded, share what you are looking for in a wife and what are you willing to compromise on. Personal hygiene is key. Make sure you look well presented, smell nice, show your respect, show you are wanting this marriage. Be polite and kind and to speak confidently when being involved in a conversation. These are the basics you can show but it's not as stressful, just take deep breaths before the moment and you will ace it."
Thaiba's answer:
"Your first Rishta as a female can be emotional, especially with the thought of leaving your childhood home. Take some time to mentally prepare yourself for this big step. During the Rishta, be honest about your future goals, family traditions, and your top priorities, and to make sure the person aligns with your expectations. Stay respectful, maintain eye contact, and be polite and kind. With some preparation, you'll be fine. Best of luck."
^ Above, presents a body copy article that I have added in my double page spread in which I interviewed both of my models, Kaleem and Thaiba, in which I have written in 3rd person allowing audience to understand the pure advice from experience from my models perspectives on how to prepare audiences for their first Rishta.
I have researched a lot of magazine related to same genre and theme to the one that I am completing, I don't think I was able to find this unique idea in a double page spread and to be interviewing their models, allowing their audience to have a clear understanding knowledge and hearing the true words from the models presented in the magazine.
I wanted to include an interview from my models giving advice to audiences around their age to give advice on their first Rishta because this is the first starting event before any further events gets discussed. Allowing my audience to read the article of the interview of my models on their experience, will hopefully encourage the readers and to also reach out to a wider audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment